Wichita homeowners face winter storms with severe ice and snow every year that can do damage to homes and threaten the safety of families. That’s why it’s important to take precautions and prepare your home for the coldest winter months. Here are some ways you can protect your home from severe winter cold and the elements.
Winterize Your Home
- Ice and high winds can damage the exterior elements of your home, so check your siding, shutters and any other exterior elements to make sure they’re secure.
- Clear gutters of sludge and debris to make sure you have proper drainage away from your home’s foundation. Added weight on your roof from ice and snow can cause structural damage, so check your roof for any holes or damage before bad weather hits.
- Apply caulk to drafty windows and use weather stripping on exterior doors to keep cold out and heat in so your energy bills stay as low as possible.
- Insulate your exposed pipes to prevent freezing, expansion and bursting. Keep at least a trickle of water running to prevent pipes from freezing during the coldest days.
- Look for tree branches near your roof or power lines that could potentially cause problems. Trim away any branches that could fall on your roof, vehicles or power lines when carrying the added weight of snow and ice.
- Make sure you are stocked up on emergency supplies for winter. Keep an emergency supply of food on hand in case travel becomes impossible. Keep rock salt and shovels handy in case you are snowed in. Keep a fuel-burning heater around in case your heat goes out.
We know bad weather is coming in Kansas. The best way to protect your home is by preparing for the worst possible outcomes. You’ll have a better chance of getting through winter without any major incidents.
Thank you for your interest in Emerald Bay Estates. We are located on West Street between 21st Street and 29th Street North in Wichita, KS. Please use the form below so we can help you find the perfect new home.
Emerald Bay Estates is located on the beautiful northwest corner of Wichita, KS. Offering the best in schools, shopping and recreation, the area is a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family. Here are a few of the local amenities and attractions Wichita has to offer.
- Towne East Square– Wichita’s largest mall. Two-story complex located at the intersection of Kellogg and Rock Rd.
- Towne West Square– Wichita’s second-largest mall located at the intersection of Kellogg and I-235.
- Bradley Fair– Upscale shopping and dining plaza located on Rock Rd. south of 21st
- New Market Square– Large store chains and plentiful dining options located on Maize Rd. north of 21st
Professional Sports Teams
- Wichita Thunder– professional CHL hockey team playing at Intrust Bank Arena.
- Wichita Wingnuts– minor league baseball team playing at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
- Wichita Force– professional CPIFL indoor football team playing at Intrust Bank Arena.
- Wichita B-52s– professional MASL indoor soccer team playing at Hartman Arena.
- FC Wichita– professional NPSL outdoor soccer team playing at Stryker Soccer Complex.
Theaters and Venues
- Warren Theaters– Movie theaters featuring the latest Hollywood releases with three locations.
- Orpheum Theater– Historic downtown theater featuring concerts, events and films.
- Crown Uptown Theater– Historic College Hill theater featuring concerts and events.
- Palace Theaters– Discount movie chain featuring last-chance movies before they leave the big screen.
- Murdock Theater– Small downtown theater featuring independent film releases.
- Starlite Drive-In– Wichita’s only remaining drive-in theater featuring two screens.
- The Cotillion– Historic concert venue featuring well-known touring artists.
- Century II – Large downtown convention center and performing arts venue.
- Intrust Bank Arena– Largest event venue in Wichita featuring year-round concerts and events.